Skip to main content

NYC mayor Mamdani declares full school snow day for Monday with no remote learning

Mayor Mamdnani has announced New York City’s first full school snow day — with no remote learning — in years for Monday in anticipation of a major blizzard.

The mayor made the announcement on social media Sunday, posting a video of a FaceTime call between him and an eighth-grade girl named Victoria who attends public school in Brooklyn. “Oh my God, it’s the mayor,” the girl yelped.

“We’ve got a full snow day tomorrow. No online school, no remote learning. Full classic snow day,” Mamdani told Victoria.

“So my only ask to you is that you just stay safe, stay indoors during the height of the storm. Once that has passed, feel flee to go out and sled.”

The decision comes as the city braces for a possible 18 to 22 inches of snow, with the severe weather rolling in about 9 p.m. Sunday.

Tomorrow is the first traditional snow day in the years since the advent of remote learning during the 2020 COVID pandemic.

Mamdani asked the state for a waiver of its requirement that the school year include 180 days of instruction and the state granted it.

The teachers union backed Mamdani’s decision.

“Having a traditional snow day is the right decision,” Michael Mulgrew, president of the United Federation of Teachers, said in a statement to the Daily News.

Mulgrew sent the following message to UFT members:

“The UFT and the city spoke to the state and asked for a waiver on the 180 school day policy due to the upcoming emergency weather situation,” Mulgrew said. “New York State Education Commissioner Betty Rosa granted the waiver for several reasons including the fact that a travel ban will be in effect in the city, and that students and staff are unlikely to have the equipment they need for a day of remote learning.”

City public school students were off last week for mid-winter break and so didn’t have a real opportunity to connect with the technology and classroom materials needed for remote learning. officials said.



from New York Daily News https://ift.tt/ILw4jm7
via IFTTT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NYPD sergeant wounded in Bronx shooting released from hospital

The Bronx NYPD sergeant wounded during a harrowing police-involved shooting with an armed assailant was released from the hospital Saturday as a group of cops cheered him on. Sgt. Nicholas Novak humbly accepted the applause from the line of NYPD well-wishers as he left Jacobi Hospital , with his pregnant wife by his side. Novak, a 12-year veteran of the department, is currently assigned to the 49th Precinct’s Quality of Life Enforcement Team, or Q-Team, officials said. He and his wife are expecting their third child. NYPD Sgt. Nicholas Novak holds hands with his wife as he leaves Jacobi Medical Center in the Bronx on Saturday, Oct. 11, 2025. (Theodore Parisienne / New York Daily News) Novak suffered a serious head injury as he and his fellow officers grappled with an armed 18-year-old Antonio Morales, who had just fired off several shots as cops approached, officials said. The violent  confrontation erupted at the teen’s home on E. Gun Hill Road near Hone Ave. in Williamsb...

Marathon hearings conclude in state case against Luigi Mangione for UnitedHealthcare CEO killing

Marathon proceedings in Luigi Mangione’s state homicide case came to a close Thursday, as Manhattan prosecutors and lawyers for the suspected killer of UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson rested without calling any more witnesses. The parties won’t learn for some time which positions prevailed, with state Supreme Court Justice Gregory Carro asking each side to submit final written arguments and indicating he would rule on Mangione’s motions to suppress evidence central to the prosecution’s case by May 18. The hearings included 17 witnesses and centered on evidence recovered and statements Mangione made to Pennsylvania law enforcement surrounding his arrest five days after Thompson’s killing. Mangione was nabbed at a McDonald’s in the city of Altoona, more than 200 miles from the Hilton hotel in Midtown, outside which the CEO was shot dead Dec. 4, 2024. Notes allegedly found by police in Luigi Mangione's backpack after he was detained at a McDonald's in Altoona, Pennsylvani...

NYC mom who may die from Randalls Island beatdown spent 6 hours on ground unconscious

The Queens single mom clinging to life after being savagely beaten and robbed of her e-bike on Randalls Island was left unconscious on the ground for nearly six hours before she was discovered by a passerby the next morning, the Daily News has learned. Diana Agudelo was biking home from her job as a janitor at an East Harlem museum, taking her usual short cut through Randalls Island to get to her Astoria apartment, when she was attacked about 11:30 p.m. Friday. One or more assailants struck her multiple times in the head and face before apparently stealing her e-bike and belongings. A passerby didn’t spot her unconscious near the bike path until about 5:15 a.m. the next day as the sky began to lighten on the sparsely populated island, which is home to sports fields and institutions including shelters, a psychiatric hospital and an FDNY training facility. Agudelo made it through surgery Wednesday to relieve pressure on her brain but only has a 1% chance of ultimately surviving, ...