Skip to main content

New Jersey students who walked out to protest ICE face disciplinary action

Some New Jersey high school students who walked out of class to protest ICE operations will face detention time for their activism as well as possible other discipline.

North Plainfield High School students were informed in a letter that those who cut class without permission, left school grounds and created “a disruptive school environment” must attend a three-hour Saturday detention, according to NJ. com.

Local outlet TAPinto reported protests involving students from the school, where more than 70% are said to be Hispanic, took place on Feb. 3 and Feb. 6. The latter demonstration saw roughly 200 participants march into downtown Plainfield.

In Highland Park, as many as 40 students were initially told they would face suspension for demonstrating off school grounds, students told NJ.com. However, the district’s superintendent later clarified that disciplinary action would be decided following a “thorough review of the circumstances.”

Students there were reportedly allowed to participate in a walkout on campus, but several dozen demonstrators who left the property could face consequences, officials said.

At least a dozen protests opposing the actions of ICE officers have taken place at Garden State schools so far this year, according to NJ.com

In New York City, organizers encouraged ICE protestors to walk off their jobs and out of their classrooms in January to attend demonstrations at sites including Central Park, Washington Square Park, Prospect Park and Trump Tower in Midtown.

Those walkouts included one 15-year-old student from Brooklyn, who joined friends from the Little Red School House and Elisabeth Irwin High School in Greenwich Village and Soho to attend the rallies.

“What bothers me is how horrible it is that he’s taking innocent people,” she said of President Trump and the federal officers carrying out his orders.

Around 60 students in Kingston walked out of their classrooms last week chanting, “No ICE, no fear, immigrants are welcome here.”

Students were told over school speakers to return to their sixth-period classes, but none of the demonstrators appeared to adhere to that order, according to the Daily Freeman. The school’s principal reportedly said 40 students walked out — some of whom did not have classes to attend that afternoon.



from New York Daily News https://ift.tt/fQuNbg7
via IFTTT

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

NYPD sergeant wounded in Bronx shooting released from hospital

The Bronx NYPD sergeant wounded during a harrowing police-involved shooting with an armed assailant was released from the hospital Saturday as a group of cops cheered him on. Sgt. Nicholas Novak humbly accepted the applause from the line of NYPD well-wishers as he left Jacobi Hospital , with his pregnant wife by his side. Novak, a 12-year veteran of the department, is currently assigned to the 49th Precinct’s Quality of Life Enforcement Team, or Q-Team, officials said. He and his wife are expecting their third child. NYPD Sgt. Nicholas Novak holds hands with his wife as he leaves Jacobi Medical Center in the Bronx on Saturday, Oct. 11, 2025. (Theodore Parisienne / New York Daily News) Novak suffered a serious head injury as he and his fellow officers grappled with an armed 18-year-old Antonio Morales, who had just fired off several shots as cops approached, officials said. The violent  confrontation erupted at the teen’s home on E. Gun Hill Road near Hone Ave. in Williamsb...

Marathon hearings conclude in state case against Luigi Mangione for UnitedHealthcare CEO killing

Marathon proceedings in Luigi Mangione’s state homicide case came to a close Thursday, as Manhattan prosecutors and lawyers for the suspected killer of UnitedHealthcare CEO Brian Thompson rested without calling any more witnesses. The parties won’t learn for some time which positions prevailed, with state Supreme Court Justice Gregory Carro asking each side to submit final written arguments and indicating he would rule on Mangione’s motions to suppress evidence central to the prosecution’s case by May 18. The hearings included 17 witnesses and centered on evidence recovered and statements Mangione made to Pennsylvania law enforcement surrounding his arrest five days after Thompson’s killing. Mangione was nabbed at a McDonald’s in the city of Altoona, more than 200 miles from the Hilton hotel in Midtown, outside which the CEO was shot dead Dec. 4, 2024. Notes allegedly found by police in Luigi Mangione's backpack after he was detained at a McDonald's in Altoona, Pennsylvani...

NYC mom who may die from Randalls Island beatdown spent 6 hours on ground unconscious

The Queens single mom clinging to life after being savagely beaten and robbed of her e-bike on Randalls Island was left unconscious on the ground for nearly six hours before she was discovered by a passerby the next morning, the Daily News has learned. Diana Agudelo was biking home from her job as a janitor at an East Harlem museum, taking her usual short cut through Randalls Island to get to her Astoria apartment, when she was attacked about 11:30 p.m. Friday. One or more assailants struck her multiple times in the head and face before apparently stealing her e-bike and belongings. A passerby didn’t spot her unconscious near the bike path until about 5:15 a.m. the next day as the sky began to lighten on the sparsely populated island, which is home to sports fields and institutions including shelters, a psychiatric hospital and an FDNY training facility. Agudelo made it through surgery Wednesday to relieve pressure on her brain but only has a 1% chance of ultimately surviving, ...